Kaltura provides Georgia State University faculty, staff and students with the opportunity to create and upload audio and video files and embed them in iCollege courses, websites or simply share them with others via a secure link. Kaltura has its own screen capture application called Kaltura Capture, which allows for multiple recording abilities, including computer screen, webcam, audio and in any combination. Instructors can create video quizzes and have the scores from these quizzes sent to the iCollege grade book. All videos uploaded to or created in Kaltura are automatically captioned.
Kaltura is seamlessly integrated with iCollege and can be accessed from “Course Tools” in the course navigation bar. It can also be accessed by going to the Mediaspace website. All members of the GSU community have access to Kaltura and Kaltura Capture.
- Centralized Media Storage
- Upload from desktop or mobile device
- Screen capture
- Embed in iCollege
- Basic editing
- Import videos from YouTube
- Automatic captioning
- Human captioning by request
- Secure sharing options
- Make your course more interactive by presenting information in multiple formats.
- Create a more effective “Welcome to the Course” message by using video.
- Use a “Course Tour” video to familiarize the students with your iCollege course layout.
- Check the students’ understanding by using video quizzes.
- Add more interactivity by embedding videos in your iCollege discussions.
- Support student voices by allowing the students submit video assignments.
- Meet accessibility requirements by using Captioned videos.
- Create interactive exam reviews or quick on demand tutorials for sticking points.
- Create how-to videos and demo videos using screen capture.
- Record a narrated presentation for a student organization.
- Use Kaltura to record a presentation or speech for self-review to practice and make improvements.
- Make a recording that can be used for a podcast or personal website.
- Upload a video into Kaltura in order to add captioning or titles.
Kaltura Course Gallery is a widget you add to an iCollege course to share videos with the students in that section and allow students to upload and share videos with the rest of the class. Kaltura My Media is the individual user’s (instructor or student) media repository and is where users can upload and create videos or edit existing videos.
Yes, Kaltura activities that are created as a part of one iCollege course will be copied when course content is copied into another course.
Yes, provided that you use the “Copy All Components” option when copying your course instead of copying your videos individually.
That can be done by going to the Mediaspace website, publishing the video as “Unlisted” and sending the link to the person you want to share it with.
No, Kaltura does take some time to render and optimize the video and that can take several minutes depending on how large the video is.
Kaltura offers multiple analytics including how many times the video was played, average completion rate, statistics per unique user, video quiz scores and much more. Please refer to the Kaltura tutorial linked in the support section above.
Workshops and Webinars
Throughout the year, CETLOE offers instructor workshops on Kaltura and other learning tools. Please check the workshop schedule for instructor workshops.
If you’d like to request a custom workshop for your class on using Kaltura, please fill out the Custom Workshop Set-up form.
Georgia State Faculty can request help from our CETLOE Learning Technologists for assistance with any of the GSU Supported Digital Learning Tools.
By submitting a help ticket, you can be sure that your questions are directed to the appropriate team members, ensuring that you get the help you need, when you need it.
For help using Kaltura to support your teaching, request a Digital teaching tool consultation.